1/17/08

VanderSpotlight - Stephanie Benedict


Where were you born, and where do you currently live?
I was born in Orange City, IA. When I was 10 we moved to Arizona where I've lived in a number of Phoenix suburbs. When I was 21 I moved to MN and have lived here in a variety of Minneapolis/St Paul suburbs and now reside in Eagan.


What is your favorite movie, and what makes it your favorite?

This is tough. I like lots of movies. Um. The Princess Bride is a classic as it combines humor, romance, action and suspense. I can also quote from that movie for a variety of real life events. I also really like Napoleon Dynamite because it gets funnier every time you see it, I swear I went to high school with that guy (in a girl form) and again, quotes from that movie are completely required in my daily conversation. And finally, Memento is one of the best over all movies I've ever seen as far as movies go. That one messed with my mind and I saw it twice, in two days, in the theatre to see if I'd missed anything the first time that would have revealed the tricky ending.


If you could only eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Oh this answer depends on the day. Today I suppose I would eat home made macaroni and cheese for the rest of my life. It's delightful, delectable, delicious.


Describe your favorite trip or vacation.

Finally an easy one! Last year I went to Jamaica in December for a good friends wedding. It was the best trip so far. The water is gorgeous, the beach is beautiful, the atmosphere is warm and friendly. I scuba dived four of the seven days I was there. I read three or four books. I slept in (which means past 6:30 in the Benedict family). We were at an all inclusive resort which had really good food. It was warm and relaxing and I'd go back right now if it were an option.


Please write a paragraph or two about your life and experiences that you would like to share!

Pretty soon I will have been married for half my life. After that I will have been married for most of my life. Luke's the best friend I'll ever have. I worried, when we got married, that because I'd already known Luke for so long we'd get bored with each other, but even after nearly 16 years he can surprise me and the fact that we have so much history together makes what we have even more special. Then, the most amazing thing happened, we had Hayden. Luke and I were married 10 years before we had him. Having him completely changed EVERYTHING. There's honestly not one thing I do today that is anything like what I did my life before he was born. The whole world crumbled and collapsed the second he was pulled out and it's been a totally awesome journey rebuilding that world and seeing everything new. That sounds sappy, I know, but I really mean it. Luke and Hayden are the best things in my life and nothing would be worth anything without them. We have a very blessed life so far and I'm very thankful for it.

I'm very fortunate to have the friends and family that I do. I live far apart from my siblings (and parents) but we keep in touch and I think we all make an effort to stay friends and part of each others lives. Luke's family has always been a blessing to me, even though they drive me more crazy since I live near them. I'm happy that as I’m getting old I'm starting to meet family members I've never met before and develop relationships with family members I have never really known.

No comments: